The Metropolis High Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Metropolis High Forums

The Forums of Metropolis, both public and private.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Examining' other Characters

Go down 
+4
GOD333
Lanys T'Vyl
TheDarkMage
Giovanni323
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Giovanni323

Giovanni323

'Examining' other Characters Empty
PostSubject: 'Examining' other Characters   'Examining' other Characters Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 3:48 am

Hi this was a thought i had for quite some time but, I have finally decided to let you no about and its more of a statement than a question. But, I think that if the DMs were to eliminate the "Difficulty" Rating on the Character Biographys, that it would diminish alot of lets say ''bullying the new players" each day I go on I see characters get picked on, not only myself, but also people use the Difficulty-ness of a character and try and through it into the RP which makes absolutely no sense in my opinion. So I would really like to no, is it possible to eliminate the Difficult-Effortless-Challenging-Overpowering-and etc from the character Bio's when people 'Examine' them?

Luv Ya,

Jon a.k.a. Vincent Armsman
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jonmcdowell
TheDarkMage

TheDarkMage

PostSubject: Re: 'Examining' other Characters   'Examining' other Characters Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 4:41 am

I think that is in the new NWN update, 1.69, or its already in there . . . . one of the two.

Though, even if you were to remove that, there would still be the PvP tool, the scrying tool, and the token of actions list players option that would show levels, so it would be pretty much pointless to remove it . . .
Back to top Go down
Giovanni323

Giovanni323

PostSubject: Re: 'Examining' other Characters   'Examining' other Characters Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 8:25 pm

Ya but then people would have to use the tool then rather be like click click and there is there difficultyness of that player, and then people would use that to RP with, and if they wantedt ot o no there level for questing reasons or such then they would find that out using the tools and such
Back to top Go down
Lanys T'Vyl

Lanys T'Vyl

PostSubject: Re: 'Examining' other Characters   'Examining' other Characters Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 11:43 pm

Well, I personally think Difficulty for characters is RP, since highly magical items look that way and are made from better materials, such as the crappy dented lvl 2 full plate compared to some Adamantium Full Plate, etc, etc. Plus, there is a hak for adding weapon effects, so cannot really say Mr Glowie weapon is really high enough to use one. More experienced people LOOK it, in general.
Back to top Go down
GOD333

GOD333

PostSubject: Re: 'Examining' other Characters   'Examining' other Characters Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2008 6:44 am

I agree with Lanys
Back to top Go down
Giovanni323

Giovanni323

PostSubject: Re: 'Examining' other Characters   'Examining' other Characters Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2008 7:03 pm

I also agree with Lanys, because the difficult of another person character should not be based upon some rating system, because it takes away completely from the RP that could develop towards a person said 'difficultiness'. I feel if we knock off the difficulty rating feature it would bring a overall positiveness and ya people arent going to like it at first but all of those tools that we have are used to get peoples lvl info, so why not put to better use when actually need to rather than having difficultiness of another character be there for anyone to see and possibly kill and potential RP
Back to top Go down
Lanys T'Vyl

Lanys T'Vyl

PostSubject: Re: 'Examining' other Characters   'Examining' other Characters Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2008 7:46 pm

Actually, I was saying that the difficulty SHOULD be based on the Examine difficulty rating, since even a total newb pissant can alter their armor and dye it and use a hak to have glowing weapons. The true way to judge a more experienced person is Examine, since the plain visual is unreliable on BoB. What I was saying is that the current Examine Difficulty rating is based upon what you can tell from what they ACTUALLY wear, not what they modded to look like. Its less about judging a level, since you do not learn their level. Its more about Examining and seeing if they appear more baddass than YOU or not. Just because someone is altered to look uber, does not change the fact that they are really wearing PoS leather and a bent sword. We should be able to notice that, just as we should be able to notice that Lord Balin has the Sword of Champions in his hand, or at least notice its really a badass sword compared to the one your teen lvl guy is using. The difficulty rating should stay as it is, by Examining and judging from what's actually worn, not what they modded and hakd to look like.
Back to top Go down
Lord Bahlin1
Admin
Lord Bahlin1

PostSubject: Re: 'Examining' other Characters   'Examining' other Characters Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 8:45 pm

There has been times in real life when I meet someone, and I know that they have studied Martial arts or that they have some other skill. You can tell by their posture, the way the talk and their confidence. Not always, but pretty often.

In game, the difficulty rating only tells you the difference in levels between you and that person. This can be very misleading, because there are many "easy" or "moderate" characters who will destroy someone who has 4-10 levels more than them. *cough* *Cough* *Bane* *cough*
Back to top Go down
J-Cubed

PostSubject: lol   'Examining' other Characters Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 4:54 pm

muahaha. I can not tell you how many people say "man you are effortless to me", then get thwacked by the little lowby Orc lol. So yeah it can be missleading.
Back to top Go down
Giovanni323

Giovanni323

PostSubject: Re: 'Examining' other Characters   'Examining' other Characters Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 5:45 pm

Okay, but my point is, and I want the DMs, respond, or suggestion, is it possible to disable or negate the "Difficultiness" setting on character biography, because if I dont say myself, that is where 95% of the bully and harassing newer players steams from because people have such quick access to knowing the difficultiness of another character to there own, and the DMs obviously put those tools to "find other players within my level range" and many other tools for the main purpose of finding out what peoples levels are, because other than that I find it rediculous to keep having the difficultiness of a players character in there bio because one, it takes away from the RP of what either there bio is trying to portray or what there character in general is trying to portray because i have made several new characters and I cannot tell you how many times i have people mention my "seasons" as if that isnt a creative way of saying "what is your level" then i do no what is, but a persons "seasons" or whatever the hell you wanna call them is unnecessary for others to know unless they are going on a quest, we should leave that to the imaginations
Back to top Go down
Lanys T'Vyl

Lanys T'Vyl

PostSubject: Re: 'Examining' other Characters   'Examining' other Characters Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 5:57 pm

No, if someone is an Epic lvl bully, they KNOW who their equals are by name. Same for mid level and teen level bullies. And, if they don't know, they will just look at the list before they log in to the server, or log out and back in to check the list.
Back to top Go down
Giovanni323

Giovanni323

PostSubject: Re: 'Examining' other Characters   'Examining' other Characters Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 12:25 am

But then it gives them a reason to 'have' to log out and see the levels, if someone would actually go to those lengths to signing out to see then, the more power to them, but thats what they would have to do in order to see other peoples levels, that do not come up with the use of the tools.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'Examining' other Characters   'Examining' other Characters Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 4:12 am

Quote :
I cannot tell you how many times i have people mention my "seasons" as if that isnt a creative way of saying "what is your level" then i do no what is, but a persons "seasons" or whatever the hell you wanna call them is unnecessary for others to know unless they are going on a quest, we should leave that to the imaginations

If you have a problem with people asking your 'season'.. what do you want? As far as I know, that's the RP way of asking someone's level, not just a creative way of asking it.

As Lanys has said, CR ratings and character levels are part of RP.

If someone wants to know your level, you can't stop them. I don't think removing CRs on character descriptions will help.

Laughing

Last edited by Quah'lia on Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dmOhanzee
High Lady of Metropolis
dmOhanzee

PostSubject: Re: 'Examining' other Characters   'Examining' other Characters Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 11:01 pm

I have been reading this topic since it started. I can understand the concern here, but ultimately if someone wants to bully you, there are other ways, than looking at your bio. Ways that were put into game.

We get alot of fix bugs, fix this, more content, sometimes it is completely overwhelming how much there is to fix, and look at. If we fix 10 things in a release our list will dwindle in urm...well it will be a while I believe.

The ultimate question is what is the benefit that out weighs the amount of work put into the scripting of something?
since there are so many other ways to get this information with in Bob, and even more accurate ways of information, it would dwindle the usefulness of this change. I mean every time it would get weighed against a bug, the bug fix would way out. Sorry, but I dont think this specific thing will change. At least not for a very long time if it does.

Ohanzee
Back to top Go down
SlayerDuck
Admin
SlayerDuck

PostSubject: Re: 'Examining' other Characters   'Examining' other Characters Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2008 12:23 am

dmOhanzee wrote:
If we fix 10 things in a release our list will dwindle in urm...well it will be a while I believe.

Add in all the extra bugs that get added as each release comes out and you guys are in for a while...
Back to top Go down
Giovanni323

Giovanni323

PostSubject: Re: 'Examining' other Characters   'Examining' other Characters Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2008 3:43 am

Thank you, Ohanzee
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Examining' other Characters   'Examining' other Characters Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Examining' other Characters
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Metropolis High Forums :: Questions for the DMs-
Jump to: